Director, Government Relations
- Identify funding opportunities at DoS, USAID, think tanks, and advocacy organizations.
- Support the drafting of grant applications.
- Build relationships with relevant officers at agencies and organizations focused on international development, democratic values advocacy, MENA freedom, etc.
- Build relationships with media organizations and keep them informed of the work we are doing in the region
- Submission of four well-qualified grant applications per year to relevant funders
- Coverage of IBB activities and achievements by media
- Six speaking engagements related to IBB’s international development efforts
- Seven or more years at an agency, media outlet, or congressional office focused on matters of international foreign policy, relations, and fundraising.
- Outgoing personality with the ability and willingness to build relationships.
- Existing network of relationships on which to build
- Stellar presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Competitive salary with excellent benefits.
- Salary range $75,000 – $100,000 depending on experience.
Ideas Beyond Borders, a nonprofit organization, is seeking an experienced lobbyist to build relationships with government agencies and policy organizations and identify funding opportunities.
Reporting directly to the President, the successful candidate will work closely with the organization’s leadership to develop and implement relationship building strategies, research government programs and funding sources, and engage with government officials as well as the media to advocate for the organization’s interests.
- Build and maintain relationships with key decision-makers and staff members in federal government agencies
- Develop and implement lobbying strategies that advance the organization’s interests and goals
- Advocate for the organization’s positions and priorities to government officials, policymakers, and stakeholders
- Identify funding opportunities and programs offered by government agencies and develop proposals for the organization’s consideration. Work with the development team to craft and deliver effective proposals.
- Develop and maintain a network of allies and coalition partners to advance the organization’s goals
- Attend meetings, conferences, and events to represent the organization and network with other stakeholders
- Stay up-to-date on political developments and trends that could impact the organization’s work
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of lobbying activities, including meetings, communications, and expenditures
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, or a related field
- At least seven years of experience as a lobbyist, government affairs professional, or related position
- Strong knowledge of the relevant political landscape and government processes
- Proven track record of building and maintaining relationships with government officials and stakeholders
- Experience advocating for nonprofits or human rights causes
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to craft persuasive arguments and communicate complex issues to a variety of audiences
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to travel as needed
- US citizen or green card holder.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages, including generous health insurance, 401(k) matching, and paid time off. This position is based in Washington, D.C. and may require occasional travel. The organization is based in New York City.
If you are passionate and experienced with a strong commitment to human rights and the nonprofit sector, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
About Ideas Beyond Borders
Ideas Beyond Borders (IBB) champions a positive alternative to the extremism, authoritarianism, censorship, and violence that plagues the greater Middle East. We develop and implement programs to empower Middle Eastern youth with the knowledge often suppressed by authoritarian regimes. We teach freedom: our mission is to share ideas that foster critical thinking, human rights, and democracy with the goal of bringing a modern Middle East to life, led by the region’s people. We accomplish this by:
- Sharing and translating general knowledge about liberal values, enabling youth to learn about and debate ideas online
- Empowering emerging young leaders to put these values into action, modeling the
change young people are seeking
IBB reaches Arab youth online through our House of Wisdom 2.0 online content platform. Our content was accessed more than 269 million times in 2022, or more than 735,000 times a day. We have translated Steven Pinker’s Rationality, Mustafa Akyol’s Reopening Muslim Minds, and many other important works. Catering to our youth audience, we produce more than 150 original educational videos and podcasts annually on topics including individual rights, critical thinking, science, and more.
Our Innovation Hub provides microgrants to young leaders who put the ideals of liberty into action. We enable social and business entrepreneurs who do not otherwise have access to resources the opportunity to take the risk of implementing their big ideas. We keep the red tape to a minimum, focus on identifying good people with good ideas, and don’t limit ourselves to one arena.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a thoughtful letter to careers@IdeasBeyondBorders.org explaining why your experience and knowledge are the right fit for this position. Please also include a resume and salary requirements.
Our goal is to have a Director in the position by late summer 2023